Monday, February 16, 2015

Setting A New Paradigm For Fighting Injustice

Among the hundreds who enrolled to become advocates at the High Court auditorium in Kochi, Kerala was a man who has appeared in several courts to successfully plead cases against many in the government.


Meet Jaydhar, who has lived sort of an advocate’s life,  striding the corridors of various courts and the Consumer Forum for the past 12 years, without wearing a black coat. Jaydhar, who hails from Kollam, started off his legal battles back in 1995 by appearing himself in the case against a conductor who misbehaved with him in a bus.

Since then, he appeared in as many as 35 of his own cases, and has won 34 of them, a success rate that even seasoned advocates may envy. His fights include the one against overcharging of service fee by the KSFE, and pricing of products above their MRPs.

Of late, Jaydhar wanted to appear in others’ cases also, a desire that followed his resignation from a high-profile private firm in Tirupathi as the deputy general manager.

“As a sub-inspector in the CISF, I was posted in various parts of the country for 15 years. It was during that period I became interested in law. Later, I joined the Science and Technology Museum as a security officer. Though I took a degree in Law in 2001 from the Trivandrum Law College I could not practise because of being in the government service,” said Jaydhar. 

“I joined the private firm two years ago. Meanwhile, I started appearing for my own cases. But, now I want a full-time career, and want to appear for others also. So, I decided to enrol. I’ll move to Ernakulam soon to practise in the High Court,” said Jaydhar.The other prominent personalities who enrolled were Kasargod principal judge T V Mammootty and Federal Bank Officers Association former vice-president P R Augustine.

The enrolment ceremony was inaugurated by Justice Dama Sheshadri.

The function was presided over by Bar Council Chairman T H Abdul Azeez. Advocate K N Anilkumar and C S Ajithan Namboothiri also spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment